Can you imagine improving your resume while playing Fortnite? Incredible but true!
That's just what Softskills does: they develop your skills and your talent by playing your favourite video games.
A sophisticated algorithm, fruit of years of labor, is the magic that makes it possible.
Softskills.games is a web portal that allows you to know and improve your skills that you develop while playing your favourite video games.
This is achieved thanks to the research work of psychologists and videogame specialists who have analyzed many videogames during the last years.
Researchers have developed a sophisticated algorithm that, based on the achievements you have obtained, computes the levels for a multitude of different abilities.
Currently there are 13 video games analyzed and incorporated into the system. These games are in the Steam catalog and you must have a Steam account to use Softskills.games. Every so often, they analyze and add a new game.
From research to start-up
When the Softskills team contacted us, we shared their concern about the need to have the project ready as soon as possible but with a robust base that would allow us to add new features step by step.
They also needed to be able to add and modify content such as news, sections, articles, etc in a simple and fast way.
After conversations and emails the requirements were well specified.
We made an analysis taking into account all aspects and proposed the following architecture:
- Django CMS: given the need of the client to be able to add content easily through a content manager but with the security, robustness and performance that Django offers, we opted for Django CMS.
- Bootstrap 4: It's a must for any web project that wants to have a responsive behavior on mobile, tablet, PC, etc.
- ChartJS: The project requires drawing the different evolutions of the user and chartJS offers a high quality and graphic types while allowing some interactivity.
- Django Rest Framework: the project is API-ready. In design and implementation time it is not very expensive to prepare the system, so that, the client-server interaction is through the REST API. This capacity will allow the project to evolve to App or PWA in the next iterations if the market requires it. This ability is brilliantly provided by Django Rest Framework.
- VueJS: there is no form management that resists Vue JS. For this type of project, VueJSt is great because of the light weight of the library and the time it takes to be operational when compared to an Angular project.
In general, the project is organic.
The challenge of the work is the algorithm that generates the valuations of the skills and it is a work done in a magnificent way by the researchers of the start-up.
Our work has been to take that algorithm with affection to an effective and efficient system implementation that also allows us to modify parameters and include new games in the catalog.
In addition, the design of the home, logos and other images was also provided by the client.
Like every project we do, version control is done with Git under our own repository.
Three environments with Docker have been created for its development/execution: local, testing and production.
The duration of the project has been according to plan: 2 months.
Both the client and we are very satisfied with the work and we hope that they have the great success they deserve.
The truth is that the project looks very good and is ahead of the future. No wonder that many multinationals are knocking on your door.
For our part, it's time to play games to continue improving our skills! :)
Do not miss anything!
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed